When Can I Have My Baby Gender Scan?
- After 11 weeks.
- At the Nuchal Scan (11-13 weeks) if you wish.
Accuracy Of Gender Assessment:
- At 11 weeks – 75% accuracy.
- At 12 weeks – 80-90%
- At 13 weeks – 95% (this is also the best time for your Nuchal Scan, which you can have at the same appointment as your gender scan.)
- At 14 weeks – 97%
- At 16 weeks – 99.9%
How Can You Tell If I Am Having A Boy or A Girl?
At the Gender Scan, Dr Penman is looking for two signs:
- A ‘snail’ sign, indicating that your baby is a boy.
- A ‘Big Mac’ sign – like three little lines stacked on top of each other – indicating that your baby is a girl.
What Happens At The Gender Scan:
Dr Penman will:
- perform a thorough scan checking your baby’s wellbeing and growth
- take images and a short 4D film of your baby
- perform the gender assessment.
What Can I Take Home From My Gender Scan?
- A CD of 2D and 3D images taken at the scan
- A short 4D film of moving images taken at the scan
- Some printed scan images of your baby
- A wellbeing report for you and your medical notes
- The 3D/4D images/film are totally complimentary, there are no additional charges. Please bear in mind that if you have a raised BMI, this makes 3D and 4D scanning much more difficult. This is not a reason for Dr Penman to rescan.
- The accuracy of the scan is dependent on fetal position, amniotic fluid volume and maternal BMI.