Dr Penman studied at St Thomas’s Hospital, London and worked there, and also at Queens Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital, as a research registrar.
He completed his senior registrar training in obstetrics and gynaecology and subspecialties training in maternal and fetal medicine at St Michael’s Hospital Bristol.
He was appointed a consultant obstetrician and gynaecologist and specialist in fetal medicine at the Medway Hospital, Gillingham in December 1997 and also as an honorary consultant in fetal medicine at the Harris Birthright Centre, King’s College Hospital, London.
He resigned his NHS position in 2006 due to NHS cuts and now works full-time in private practice.
Medical Specialties and Interests
Dr Penman specializes in prenatal screening and diagnosis of fetal abnormalities and invasive prenatal diagnostic procedures including amniocentesis and CVS. He also performs the latest non-invasive prenatal testing – the Harmony test.
His gynaecological interests include:
- the management of menstrual dysfunction
- polycystic ovary syndrome
- endometriosis/pelvic pain
- infertility and sub fertility
- investigation and management of recurrent miscarriage
He performs a wide range of gynacological surgery including:
- minimal access (laparoscopy/hysteroscopy) for the treatment of PCOS
- menorrhagia and pelvic pain due to adhesions/endometriosis
- hysteosalpingograms for the diagnosis of blocked fallopian tubes
Dr Penman has four children – three of whom are triplets. One of his triplet daughters is expecting her first child with her husband in January 2019.