A reassurance scan may be the first scan you have in your pregnancy. The scan can be conducted from 6 weeks of pregnancy until 10 weeks, and can give great comfort to parents wanting to see their little one for the first time.
The Scan is For:
- Accurately date the pregnancy
- Check the pregnancy is located in the uterus
- Check the number of fetuses
- Detect the heartbeat
- Check that the pregnancy is progressing normally
When Is This Scan Performed?
This scan is performed between 6 and 10 weeks.
PLEASE NOTE: It is better to come towards the end of the 6 week mark to have the best chance of detecting a heartbeat. So count 3 weeks after your first pregnancy test to ensure you have the scan at the right time
Who Performs This Scan?
Dr Penman, Consultant Fetal Medicine Specialist, performs the scan and will explain all the findings and results to you during your appointment.
What To Do Before Booking This Scan
Please date your pregnancy using the Interpreting Pregnancy Test Results post.
Why Do I Need This Scan?
- If you are uncertain about the date of your last period
- If you have experienced any bleeding or pain
- If you have had a previous miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy
- For reassurance that the pregnancy has embedded well and is progressing
How Long Does The Appointment Take?
The appointment takes 20 minutes.
The actual scan will be around 5-10 minutes. The rest of the appointment time will be used for Dr Penman to take any medical history and to explain the results of the scan to you.
Do I Need To Do Anything Special Before This Scan?
- Make sure your bladder is not empty. However, it does not need to be full or uncomfortable.
- Make a note of the date of the first day of your last period and date of your first positive pregnancy test and bring them with you to your appointment.
How Much Is This Scan?
This scan is £99 and includes:
- A full detailed medical report will be given to you at the end of the consultation
- Several 2D scan images
PLEASE NOTE: 3D and 4D is not possible at this stage in pregnancy, but scan be performed by 11 weeks at the nuchal scan. For more information on the nuchal scan, please click on the link.
You can book a reassurance scan by clicking on the button below.
For more information on any of the scans Dr Penman offers, please click the button below.