The Nuchal Scan With Early Gender Scan is primarily used to detect certain fetal abnormalities, such as Down Syndrome, but can also give you an estimated due date and assess the gender of your baby, should you wish to know. There is no extra charge to find out your baby’s gender.
What Is The Nuchal Scan With Early Gender Scan For?
- To detect certain abnormalities (this scan can detect 85% babies with Down Syndrome and 95% babies with other chromosomal abnormalities such as Edwards, Patau and Turner Syndrome. It can also detect a significant number of major structural abnormalities.) See Pregnancy Complications for further information.
- To accurately date the pregnancy.
- To tell the gender of your baby (if you want to know). At 11 weeks there is a 75-80% accuracy in assessing the gender. See Baby Gender Scan Overview for more information.
When Is This Scan Performed?
This scan is performed between 11 weeks and 1 day to 13 weeks and 6 days. The dates are critical because the various measurements taken will be inaccurate if outside these parameters and will skew the results. The optimal time for the scan is 12 weeks and 3 days.
Who Performs The Scan?
Dr Penman, Consultant Fetal Medicine Specialist, performs the scan.
What To Do When Attending This Scan
- bring any previous scan and medical reports with you to the appointment.
- make sure your bladder is not empty. However, it does not need to be full or uncomfortable.
How Long Does This Scan Take?
The appointment takes 30 minutes, but the actual scanning will be less than this. The rest of the appointment time will be used for Dr Penman to take any medical history and to explain the results of the scan to you.
How Much Is This Scan?
The Nuchal Scan With Early Gender Scan costs £130 and includes:
- A CD of still 2D and 3D images
- Some printed 2D and 3D images
- A DVD* of real-time moving 4D images. *No audio, but you are welcome to record the baby’s heartbeat on your phone during the scan – for more information on the importance of detecting the baby’s heartbeat, please click here)
- A detailed medical report for your records
PLEASE NOTE: There are no hidden extras in the scan fees, and no extra is charged for 3D and 4D images, CD or DVD. Please also bear in mind that if you have a raised BMI, this makes 3D and 4D scanning much more difficult. This is not a reason for Dr Penman to rescan.
All baby scans are held at the Spire Alexandra Hospital in Walderslade, Kent.