What Is This Scan For?
- To measure the collection of fluid under the skin at the back of the baby’s neck and the nasal bridge to detect certain abnormalities (this scan can detect 85% babies with Down Syndrome and 95% babies with other chromosomal abnormalities such as Edwards, Patau and Turner Syndrome. It can also detect a significant number of major structural abnormalities.) See Pregnancy Complications for further information
- To accurately date the pregnancy
- To tell the gender of your baby (if you want to know). At 11 weeks there is a 75-80% accuracy in assessing the gender. See Baby Gender Scan Overview for more information. This part of the scan is free
When Is The Scan Performed?
This scan is performed between 11 weeks and 1 day to 13 weeks and 6 days. The dates are critical because the various measurements taken will be inaccurate if outside these parameters and will skew the results. The optimal time for the scan is 12 weeks and 3 days.
How Long Does The Appointment Take?
The appointment takes 30 minutes, although the scanning portion of the appointment takes slightly less than this. The remainder of the appointment is used for giving past medical history and for Dr Penman to explain the results of the scan.
Do I Need To Do Anything Special Before This Scan?
Make sure your bladder is not empty. However, it does not need to be full or uncomfortable
How Much Is This Scan?
This scan costs £130 and includes:
- A CD of still 2D and 3D images
- A DVD of 4D images (real-time moving images). PLEASE NOTE: There is no audio on this DVD, but you are welcome to record the baby’s heartbeat on your phone during the scan – for more information on the importance of detecting the baby’s heartbeat, please click here)
- Some printed images
- A full detailed medical report
PLEASE NOTE: There are no hidden extras in the scan fees, and no extra is charged for 3D and 4D images.
Please bear in mind that if you have a raised BMI, this makes 3D and 4D scanning much more difficult. This is not a reason for Dr Penman to rescan.
For more information on any of the scans Dr Penman offers, please click the button below.
You can book this scan by clicking on the blue appointment button below.
Alternatively, please visit the Contact Us page and ring the hospital of your choice.