Viability/Reassurance Scan 6-10 Weeks
A viability scan may be the first scan you have in your pregnancy. The medical scan can be conducted from 6 weeks of pregnancy to 1o weeks and ensures that the pregnancy is viable, allows the parents to see a heartbeat and know that the pregnancy is in the right place and is viable.
When Is This Scan Performed?
This scan is performed between 6 and 10 weeks.
PLEASE NOTE: It is better to come towards the end of the 6 week mark to have the best chance of seeing a heartbeat. So count 3 weeks after your first pregnancy test to ensure you have the scan at the right time.
Who Performs This Scan?
Dr Penman, Consultant Fetal Medicine Specialist, performs the scan and will explain all the findings and results to you during your appointment.
What To Do Before Booking This Scan
Please date your pregnancy using the Interpreting Pregnancy Test Results post.
Why Do I Need This Scan?
- If you are uncertain about the date of your last period
- If you have experienced any bleeding or pain
- If you have had a previous miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy
- For reassurance that the pregnancy has embedded well and is progressing
How Long Does The Appointment Take?
The appointment takes 20 minutes.
The actual scan will be around 5-10 minutes. The rest of the appointment time will be used for Dr Penman to take any medical history and to explain the results of the scan to you.
Do I Need To Do Anything Special Before This Scan?
- Make sure your bladder is not empty. However, it does not need to be full or uncomfortable.
- Make a note of the date of the first day of your last period and date of your first positive pregnancy test and bring them with you to your appointment.
What Is This Scan For?
This scan answers a lot of the first questions you may have when you find out that you are pregnant.
- Accurately date the pregnancy
- Check the pregnancy is located in the uterus
- Check the number of fetuses
- Detect the heartbeat
- Check that the pregnancy is progressing normally.
How Much Is This Scan ?
The scan costs £100
- A full detailed medical report will be given to you for your obstetric notes.
- Several 2D scans (3D cannot be done at this early gestation)
3D and 4D scans are not possible at this gestation but can be performed from 11 weeks at the Nuchal Scan. For more information about the Nuchal Scan please click the link.